The present town and Fort of Hyderabad were founded by the Kalhora chief Mian Ghulam Shah in A.H. 1182 (A.D. 1768), who made it his capital. In 1789 Mir Fateh Ali Khan, the then ruling Talpur Chief, abandoning khudabad near Hala, also made it his residence and constructed buildings within the Fort for his own accommodation and that of his relations. Some mosques were also built inside the fort during the period of Kalhoras and Talpurs. The building within the Fort of Mir period with which most of its area was crowded, were nearly all cleared away by the British in 1857, who for sometime used the place for the accommodation of troops military stores, and as an arsenal. The crest of the fortification walls is decorated with ornamental Kanguras, or merlons, of a very curious shape. In one of corner of the Fort, there is a memorial to be native soldier who so very bravely faced the British attack on the Fort in (A.D. 1843). Mir’s Harm and a few odd walls in the buildings known as record office are the only other remnants of the Mir’s period. Mir’s Harm as apparent from the name is a part of the ladies quarters. It is profusely decorated with painting though not of good taste.